Everyone has been there. You are in the park at Walt Disney World having the most magical of times…but you need a break. Go back to the resort? Take a nap? What is there to do? The answer: so much more than you realize! The areas at the Walt Disney World resort, outside of the parks, offer loads of varied entertainment for all ages.
What are our top 15 things to do at Walt Disney World OUTSIDE of the parks?
- Hop on the monorail and take a spin. The monorail system at WDW hooks up to Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort, Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Disney’s Polynesian Resort, the Ticket and Transportation Center, Magic Kingdom AND Epcot! Best part – there is no cost to ride the monorail.
- Check out Disney Springs. This is the shopping/dining/entertainment district of WDW. Admission is free
- Princess processional at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort. Check this out around 3:30-4:00 pm in the lobby of the resort. You may catch a glance of Cinderella herself processing to her nightly dinner spot – 1900 Park Fare.
- Book a meal at a resort. The Disney resorts offer an impressive line up of menus across all palates. Catch a bite to eat and then take a self tour of the resort. Keep in mind many restaurants do require advance reservation to guarantee availability.
- Book a safari adventure at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. This one does have admission costs and requires advance reservations.
- Check out the Boardwalk at Disney’s Boardwalk Inn. Shopping, dancing, dining, surrey bike rentals…it’s the perfect cap to a night in the parks!
- Have a resort day. Stay at your resort and check out a movie under the stars, swim, dine at your resort’s restaurant, and check out some of the recreational activities being offered that day. A front desk Cast Member can give you the weekly schedule for your resort’s activities.
- Play mini golf at one of the two WDW courses – Fantasia Gardens or Winter Summerland
- Check out a dinner show at Disney’s Polynesian Resort (Spirit of Aloha luau), or Disney’s Fort Wilderness (Hoop Dee Doo Review & Mickey’s Backyard BBQ). These do require advance reservation to guarantee availability.
- Hop over to Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside, grab a snack or drink, and listen to Yehaa Bob. He is a very popular attraction at the resort – a fun, interactive piano show!
- Check out ESPN’s Wide World of Sports – catch the Braves Spring Training, a cheer competition, a little league baseball game..you never know what may be going on.
- Catch a round of golf on one of the championship courses – Magnolia, Palm, Lake Buena Vista, or Oak Trail.
- Hit the spa at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort, Disney’s Yacht Club, or Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort
- Go on a pony ride at Tri-Circle-D Ranch at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort
- Catch the Electrical Water Parade from : Disney’s Polynesian Resort, Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort, Disney’s Contemporary Resort, and the Magic Kingdom.
Do you have a favorite non-park activity that we left off our list? Drop us a comment and tell us about it!